WILLIAM LESLIE NORMAN JEWELL


Photo of William LeslieWilliam was the second child of John and his second wife Sarah and was born on the 03/08/1889 in Long Gully. I am not certain exactly where he was born, except that there was a doctor Hugh present, along with a nurse. The witness on the birth certificate was Mrs Boland of Bolt St, who was also the informant. Throughout Williams life he was known as Les. On the left is a section of a photograph of a group of cricketers, with a young Les in front.

According to the 1912 Electoral Roll (ref 753), William was living in Havilah St, Long Gully, probably with his mother Sarah. His occupation was listed as an Engineer

Photo of William and his wifeOn the 30th of December 1913 William married Gladys May Rosewall.They had 2 boys & 2 girls

Phyllis May Jewell - born 05/09/1914
Gladys Edna Jewell - born 13/03/1916
Robert Leslie Clark Jewell - born 03/08/1919
Keith Douglas Jewell - born 02/10/1927

The first of their 3 children were born in Bendigo, with the 4th being in Melbourne after they moved there around 1920. When Les and his family moved to Melbourne where they settled in Caulfield. In those days an outer suburb. Not long after that the family moved to Ashworth Street, South Melbourne, close to other ‘Jewell’ family members.

William's Children Following their move from Bendigo to Melbourne, Les obtained a job working on the wharves at Station Pier. Later Les moved to the docks of Williamstown, where he continued to work of the wharves. On the left is a photograph taken a few years ago of Les & Gladys's children taken a few years ago

Around 1962 Gladys became ill and moved into a nursing home at the Alvena Private Hospital. Les could be without his wife, so he moved in with her. Unfortunatley Les died on the 6th August 1964. He was then cremated and interred at that Memorial Park Altona North. On the 3rd of October 1965, just over 12 months after Les had died, Gladys died, and like hr husband she was cremated and interred at that Memorial Park Altona North.


Back Back to Main Page
Back to John Jewell Page

© Jewell Family History Centre
Last Updated 19th August 1996