John Jewell was baptised on the 25th of April 1847 to Richard & Charity Jewell (nee Tippett), in the region of Lancarrow, in the Parish of Carmenellis, County Cornwall, England. (See History Jewell Family in Cornwall for further details). Unfortunately there is no exact record of John's birth.

I have been fortunate to obtain a copy of the baptismal entry from the Parish registers in Carmenellis. It basically confirms what I have said above.

Photo of John JewellOn the left is a copy of a photograph of John in his later life. Unfortunately I can not tell the exact date it was taken. The original still exists today. It is quite large, in a large ornate wooded frame. It is currently in the possession of Mrs. Frieda Lee (nee Jewell).

At this stage of my research I know little of John's life in Cornwall, except that he very little or no education. This is highlighted by the fact he could not read or write, till his second wife Sarah taught him. I do know that by the time John was 7 he was put to work in the mines and continued for the next 22 years.

On the 28th of August 1869, in the town of Redruth (which is in Cornwall, England), John married Elizabeth Tozer (refer section of Elizabeth Tozer for more details). I have also been able to obtain a copy of their marriage entry from the Registry Office in Redruth. Interestingly John's name on the wedding certificate, is shown as John Tippett Jewell. This is the only mention of a middle name?. It also confirms that he and Elizabeth were residents of the town, Lanner. John's occupation is shown as a Tin Miner. The marriage was witnessed by Henry Tozer (Elizabeth's brother?), and Nanny Odgers (At this stage I do not know his relationship to the family)

Not long after their wedding, John and Elizabeth left Cornwall bound for Australia. They sailed on board the Ship "Caduceus" from Plymouth England. The ship left on the 16th of October 1869. They arrived in Melbourne on the 8th January 1870. According to the ships log John was 22. His occupation was listed as a miner. Interestingly, Elizabeth was 6 months pregnant when she stepped off the boat. The trip from England would have been tough enough, but imagine what it would have been like being pregnant. Looking at dates Elizabeth would have also been prengnant at the time of their wedding, however she would have only been about 1 month, so it is uncertain whether they knew, or whether they had to get married?

When John and Elizabeth stepped off the boat like most people of that era, especially miners, they headed for the goldfields to find their fortune. My research indicates that they headed straight for Ballarat (or Ballaarat as it was known then) where he worked in the alluvial diggings. Apparantly they lived in Dowling Street, Ballarat.

It is hard to imagine just how hard life would have been living on the goldfields, however John and his new wife percevied, and even managed to bring their first 4 children into the world. According to my research they were all born at home, where most babies were born in hose times. They were;

John with Grandchildren

William John Jewell - born 28/04/1870
Elizabeth Jewell - born 31/03/1871
John Jewell - born 31/03/1871
Richard James Jewell - born 26/01/1873 (N.B. Elizabeth & John were twins.)

On the right is a copy of a fantastic photo I only recently obtained showing John surrounded by 7 of his Grandchildren

Unfortunately both William & Richard lived very short lives. More details can be found out about them in a section on their lives late in the book.

At the time that the mines in Ballarat were starting to dry up, so John headed for North Queensland is search of work where he remained for 12 months before returning to Victoria. I am not sure if Elizabeth and his children accompanied John. In 1875 John and his family made the trek to Bendigo where gold was a plenty. Upon arriving in Bendigo John secured a position at the Kentish Mine on the Garden Gully reef of which for many years he was Manager. Not long after arriving in Bendigo John & Elizabeth had their 5th child

George Henry Jewell, born 06/08/1876. Unfortunately not long after George was born his mother Elizabeth died.

A few years after Elizabeth died, John married Sarah Ann Clark on the 25th March 1880, at a private house in Forest st, Sandhurst, presumably the house belonging to Sarah's parents. I have a copy of their wedding certificate which not only confirms this, but shows that he was living at a house in Havilah Street. I assume he was renting this property. At the time John was married John was living in Havilah st. John was aged 33, and his occupation was shown as a miner. Wedding certificate shows John's religion to be Bible Christian. Research shows that Bible Christians went on to become Methodists.

John & Sarah had 2 boys;

Frederick Albert Victor Jewell - born 04/07/1881
William Leslie Norman Jewell - born 03/08/1889

At the time John worked at the Kentish mine (known as the Kent) it was the property of Mr J.B. Watson. Upon the death of Mr Watson, the mine was sold to the Carlisle Company. After working a few years underground, John was appointed Minig Manager of the amalgamated mines. During John's time at the Carlisle Mine an enormous amount of gold won.

Some time later John retired as Mining Manager and took up the position of General Manager. His son John Jewell jnr took over as Mining Manager. During John's time as Mining Manager he also took over management of the Carlisle and Unity Batteries located near by. Even after John retired he held on to this position up to 4 months prior to his death.

photo of John's houseDuring John's life in Bendigo he and his family lived in various houses, some of which John owned. (See details on "Jewell Houses" for more details). On the left is a photograph taken recently of his home in Thomas Street.

John prospered in Bendigo, and soon became a popular Mine Manager. He was also developing a reputation in the town, as a kind and caring man.

Accordng to an article in the Bedigonian (6th July 1909 page 25), John was one of the best known and highly respected Mining Managers on the Bendigo Goldfields. He was of general disposition, sterling worth, and exceedingly popular with a very wide circle of friends. While he was a strict master, he was also a just one and was noted for his kindness and consideration to those who worked under him. He took a keen interest in sporting matters, but perhaps his greatest favourite sports was the Australian game of football. He was a prominent figure at football matches and never failed to give his favourite team some encouragement in the matter of sound advice.

John was one of the original promoters of the Long Gully Imperial Football Club, to which he gave great assistancein more ways than one. He was in fact president of the club at the time of his death. John was also inlvolved in a number of other organistaions. He was;

It is also believed that he was an active member of the Long Gully Fire Brigade. John also lived an active christian life being involved with the Methodist Church in Mc Intyre Street Bendigo. This fact is highlighted in his will, which shows that he lent large sums of money to the church.

Photo of John's HeadstoneAround March 1909 John began to suffer greatly from a chest complaint. It seems he only took to his bed a few days before he died. During his illness John was being looked by Dr. Simmonds. On the 6th of July 1909 at 20 minutes past 2:00pm died at his home called "Lanner" in Thomas St Long Gully. According to his death certificate he died of chronic bronchitis. John was buried at White Hills cemetery on the 7th of July. White Hills cemetery is located on the corners of Holdsorth Rd & Plumridge St, White Hills. On the right is a photograph of the headstone that appears at his grave.

John died a fairly wealthy man, with interest in numerous properties, as well a list of creditors, who owed him money. I have in my possession a copy of John's will, which highlights how wealthy John was. On the 8th of July 1909, there was an obituary in the Bendigo Advertiser for John, which read;

The obsequies in connection with the death of the late Mr. John Jewell, the popular ex-manager of the Carlisle Mine, took place yesterday afternoon, when his remains were consigned to the grave in the Methodist section of the White Hills Cmenetery. The attendance of sorrowing friends was extremely large, including a number of the most prominent citizens. The cortege, which moved from hid late reidence, in Thomas street, Long Gully was one of the largest seen in Bendigo for some time, and was led by the Hopetoun Band which played the "Dead March in Saul" and "Rock of Ages" en route. The band was followed by the members of the Long Gully Fire Brigade, Long Gully Imperial Football Club, Mining Manager's Associaion, and a full muster of the employees of the Carlisle Mine. The coffin-bearers were Messrs. R. Bennetts, J. Cox, W. Arkinstall, W. Steen, G. Cox, and T. Delchuray. The burial service was conducted by Mr. A. Hicks, M.L.C., who delivered a touching address, and referred to the deceased's many admirable characteristics, especially his christian life and death. By request the deceased's favourite hymn "There's Not a Friend Like the Lowly Jesus" was given out by Mr. W. Verece, and sung with deep emotion by a large assemblage. The band rendered the hymn, "Lead Kindly Light". The collection of floral tributes was exceptionally large and beautiful and included costly domed immortalles from the employees of the Carlisle Company, Hopetoun Brass Band, Long Gully Football Club, Messrs. Norris and son, directors of the Carlisle and Passby mine, and Ah Poo and Co. (workers of the sand). the mortuary arrangements were carried out by Mr. W. Farmer, of McCrae street.

I also have in my possession a copy of John's will, which highlights the extent of his wealth. According to his will his cash reciepts totalled nearly 1,000 pounds, in addition to all the houses, and the property he owned. In addition to all this his will indicates that there was a total of 1,475 pounds in uncolleced estates.

Return to Main Page

Jewell Family History Centre
Last Updated 19th August 1996