George Henry Jewell was the fifth child of John & Elizabeth Jewell born on the 6th of August 1876 at Redden Hill in the city of Sandhurst. Acording to George's birth certificate John & Elizabeth were living in Redden Hill.
The 1899 referendum shows that George was living in Robinson St, Bendigo. His occupation was listed as a miner. On the left is a photograph of George as a young man
On the 24th June 1899, George married Mary Gertrude Nicholson at the home of his father John Jewell in Bell St, Long Gully. The wedding was conducted by Henry Pattinson a Bible Christian Minister. Witnesses to the wedding were John Jewell Jnr and Elizabeth Ninnis. On the marriage certificate George's occupation was an engineer.
George & his wife Mary had 4 children;
On the right is a photograph of George, his wife Mary, and his 2 sons. According to both the 1908 Electoral Roll (ref 912) and the 1912 Electoral Roll (ref 748), George was living with his wife Gertrude in Bolt St, Long Gully. Further research shows that they were living at 9 Bolt Street. Prior to 1918 George & his family moved to Melbourne to 238 Danks street, Albert Park.
Following the death of his father John in 1909, George inherited the block on the corner of Bolt & Duncan, as well as the block next door in Bolt St (No.9). He kept both blocks until his death on 27th April 1945.
George had a Motor Mechanics business in Kavanagh St Sth Melb. According to family stories travelling salesman would leave their motor vehicles to be serviced at his business.
On the 27th April 1945, George died at the Alfred Hospital. At the time of his death he was living at 34 Ashworth St, Albert Park. According to his will (dated 1st December 1930) George lived at 15 Neville St Albert Park. George left 25 pounds to his granddaughters Nancy & Eileen, with the rest going to his 2 sons. The will was witnessed by a James Matthews & William Jewell. George is buried with Mary, who predeceased him, at Brighton Cemetery.
Mary was born on the 22nd of August 1880 at home, in Back Creek, Sandhurst. Her parents were Thomas and Annie Nicholson (nee Burke). According to her birth certificate, Mary had an older brother, John Thomas, who was 2 years older. Her father was born in Holland and her mother came from County Galway, Ireland. They were married on the 26th of December 1877, in Swan Hill. Interestingly, her father Thomas was the Licensee of the Cricketers Arms Hotel in Mundy Street, Bendigo, but unfortunately died on 7th February 1881 when Mary was only six months old.
On the 24th of June 1899, Mary married George Henry Jewell. Prior to her marriage she was living in Neil St, Bendigo.
According to the 1903 Electoral Roll (ref 811), Mary lived in Bolt St Long Gully. Her occupation was listed as Home Duties.
On the 25th of October 1925, Mary died suddenly and was buried at Brighton Cemetery the following day. Mary was remembered as a very warm, kind and loving mother and grandmother.
© Jewell Family History Centre
Last Updated 3rd April 1997