Photo of MineThe Carlisle Mine was officially opened in 1871. It was located on what was called the Garden Gully Reef. The mine was actually located near the corner of, what is today, Duncan & Bennett St.ís. If you were to visit that corner today, you would find an empty paddock with a lot of rocks and mullock left over from the mine. On the paddock is also a clump of trees. Amongst those trees you will find the original foundations of the mine. On the left is a copy of a photograph of what I believe to be the earliest photgraph of the Carlisle Mine.

If you are interested I have a section of a map obtained from the Mines department showing the area the Carlisle occupied. Select this link to have a look (NB the GIF is 1026 x 817, 49K).

The Carlisle Mine had one of the tallest chimneys in Bendigo. The mine was dug to a depth of 3430 ft, one of the deepest on the Garden Gully Reef. I have a picture of a cross section of the mines on the Garden Gully reef. Select this link if you would like to view the picture. (NB it is 1000 x 600, 33K). If you look at the picture you will note that the mines were all connected by various shafts. Apparently it was possible to walk all the way from Eaglehawk to Bendigo.

The mine was classified as a rich mine, producing 176,928 ozs of gold by 1871. Another of its features were tube steel legs, which in those days was fairly uncommon as most mines had wooden legs. It was also reported to have the finest engines in the area. The steel legs were actually made by the United Ironworks, who also built the legs for the Deborah mine. The mine used quartz bins to haul the quartz to the surface. The quartz was then taken to the batteries in horse drawn vehicles. There were hundreds of these, each capable of holding 1 ton of quartz. In 1879 the Carlisle, Kent, North Garden United, and the Passby formed a company. They produced a total of 21Ĺ tons of gold.

At this point I would like to mention that in my discussions with my grandfather (Edgar Jewell) he was able to tell me where the mine was located, how deep the mine was and the price of gold.

Photo of MineBy 1906 the mine had produced a enormous total of 307,835 oz of gold. Despite this impressive total, it does appear from reading various mine reports in the "Annals of Bendigo", that a lot of quartz was dug out of the mine to produce the gold. In fact looking at the ratio of gold to quartz taken, the Carlisle was by no means the most efficient. This may be why it is one of the deepest. On the right is a copy of a photograph of a mine in Bendigo similar to the Carlisle.

I should point out that there is a file called the "Defunct Mine File No. 3008", which gives further information on the Carlisle mine, apparently located at the Storage facility at Laverton. Despite numerous searches by Christine Strachan, a fellow descendant, the file can not be located. There is however a record of a company registered on 22nd September 1922 called the Carlisle Gold Mining Co. (I am not sure whether this is a coincidence, but the last "Jewell" mine manager John Jewell (Jnr) died on the 2nd September 1922) According to information itís registered office was situated at the Commonwealth Chambers, Charing Cross, Bendigo. It then moved to 60 Queen Street in Melbourne on 6th June 1923. When registered, the value of the companies properties, including leased ground and machinery was £5,000. Number of shares in the company were 60,000 valued at 10/- each. These were held by Bendigo Amalgamated Goldfields Ltd. (11,390 shares) and John George Stanfield (48,610 shares).

While reading the Annals of Bendigo, I came across this story. A mysterious fire broke out in the workings of the Carlisle Mine, on the 9th of March 1904. When the men turned up for work on the 10th, they noticed fire, and discovered that the timber in an abandoned drive at 1280ft, 119ft north of the main shaft was on fire. Though it was only smouldering, the smoke was so dense that it was impossible to get near it. The fumes caused great inconvenience to the men, and not only to the Carlisle, but in the Unity mine, it became impossible to carry on work. A portion of the old drive fell in on the 11th, and this had the effect of subduing the fire. It was supposed to have been caused by a lighted candle having been left near the timber, or a lighted match having been dropped.

John Jewell (1847 - 1909) was the first of the "Jewell" managers. I am not sure when he started, but it seems that when he arrived in Bendigo he secured a job there, before obtaining his Mine Manager's certificate, and with his knowledge of Mining became the Underground Mine Manager. Later he took over as the overall Mine Manager. Following the death of John Jewell, his son John took over as Mine Manager.

According to family stories the mine was taken over later, and John was replaced as Mine Manager. Apparently John went to work in a coal mine near Bright, contracted Miner's desease, and died after a short illness. Unfortunately I can't be certain when this all occured, however as I mentioned earlier the mine was taken over by the Carlisle Mine Company in 1922, the same year John died.

Return to Main Page

© Jewell Family History Centre
Last Updated 18th August 1996