Book on the History of John Jewell Now Available
After 12 years of research I have finally found some time to have a book published on our branch of the Jewell Family. The book is titled :
HISTORY AND FAMILY TREE
HIS ANCESTORS IN CORNWALL
AND HIS DESCENDANTS IN AUSTRALIA
1569 - 1997
The information contained in the book is similar to what can be found at this web site, however the book contains more diagrams, more information and more photographs.
Who is John Jewell? Briefly John Jewell was baptised in Cornwall, England in 1847. In 1869 John married Elizabeth Tozer, and a few months later they sailed to Australia where they started our branch of the Jewell Family. They travelled to Ballarat and later they settled in Bendigo, where John worked at and managed one of Bendigo’s largest Gold mines
The book includes ;
- "History of the Jewell Family in Cornwall" - which contains information about who our ancestors were and where they came from back to George Jewell who was baptised in 1567!. Included are pictures, certificates and maps from Cornwall.
- "History of the Jewell Name". Information about the Jewell name including its origins which date back to William the Conqueror. Includes picture of the "Jewell" Family crest
- "The Carlisle Gold Mine". Information about Bendigo’s deepest Gold mine John and his family managed in Bendigo for nearly 50 years. Includes maps, diagrams and photographs
- Information about all of John Jewell’s known descendants including certificates and over 50 photographs, some dating back to the early 1900’s, with the earliest taken around 1875
- Lots more - over 150 pages of information, photographs, maps and diagrams
Copies of the book are available for A$29.95. Included with each book is a copy of the John’s entire family tree totalling 17 pages. Additional trees are available for only A$3.00 each.
To order a copy all you need to do is to print out this order form and mail it to
P.O. Box 115
Drouin Vic 3818
Return to Main Page
© Jewell Family History Centre
Last Updated 21st April 1997